Homelessness is a vast, often multi-faceted problem among the veteran population. For some, it is a matter of temporary displacement, or bridging a gap to afford a security deposit; for others, there may be deeper issues that must be addressed first. There are a number of organizations that help veterans and their families deal with the many issues related to homelessness. The VA has a number of programs covering everything from health care, to job placement, to transitional or permanent housing. Visit the VA at http://www.va.gov/homeless/ to learn about the programs available.
Contact us at VIC@pritzkermilitary.org to find out more about this issue.
- Military Mental Health Care by Lawhorne-Scott and Philpott (2013)
- Ending homelessness among veterans, US Senate (2012)
- The war comes home: Washington's battle against America's veterans by Aaron Glantz (2009)
- Healing suicidal veterans: recognizing, supporting and answering their pleas for help by Victor Montgomery (2009)
- Trauma-informed care for women veterans experiencing homelessness
- A Safe Haven : veterans housing
- Hines Fisher House : a home away from home for families of our nation's heroes
- Health care for homeless veterans program
- Homeless Veterans' Reintegration Program, U.S. Dept. of Labor
- Homeless Veterans Reintegration, Volunteers of America of Illinois
- VA Community Resource and Referral Center
- A Safe Haven : overview of all services
- Catholic Charities Cooke's Manor
- Veterans Life Changing Services
- Our Heroes Are Often Hidden Among Us : VA programs for Housing, Healthcare, Job Training, Education, and Legal Issues
- Have You Checked All their Vitals?: VA information for health care professionals to help end veteran homelessness
- You Fought For Our Homes, We'll Fight For Yours: VA programs for Health Services, Education, Career Services, and Home Loans to help end veteran homelessness
- You Answered Our Country's Call. We'll Answer Yours. VA Home Loan Guaranty Service, Job Training, and Education Service programs.
- A Safe Haven: Landscaping
- Did you know 131,000 of our veterans are homeless on any given night?
- St. Leo Campus for Veterans
- Catholic Charities Bishop Goedert Residence
- Healthcare for Homeless Veterans Program
- Illinois Veterans' Homes: Anna, LaSalle, Manteno, Quincy: Long-Term Care Services for Eligible Veterans
- Illinois Veterans Homes FAQ's
- HUD-VASH Resource Guide for Permanent Housing and Clinical Care
- On-Call : Handbook for Homeless Veterans and Service Providers
- Supportive Services for Veteran Families
- Jesse Brown Medical Center Homeless Vets
- Jesse Brown VA Medical Center Homeless Veterans Department